Thursday, July 09, 2020

Amergin and the Dead South

Current Listening: Achilles, The Dead South

I didn't realize it had been over a week since I last posted here. Damn. I didn't realize I was caught in that downward spiral for that long. I don't know if it's the quarantine or just 2020, but these spirals are getting more frequent. So much so, I've put in a few inquiries to some local therapists. I do not want to go down the depression road again. It was awful the first time. Knowing it could be sneaking up on me again is much worse.

Okay, so a change of topic. I love this particular song by the Dead South. It reminds me of The Song of Amergin. He says "I am sea breeze/I am the ocean wave/I am the surf's thunder/I am the stag of the seven tines/I am the cliff hawk/ I am the sunlit dewdrop..."

The Dead South's version is a more modern: "I am a man/I am the wind/I am all your deepest sins/I am the sun, I am the moon/I am all your sweetest tunes..."

The link above says that the Song has "been described as an invocation or a mystical poem" and it is. But is that all it is? 

It is more of a becoming. There are many paths with traditions of claiming for yourself certain things, whether they be animals, elements or gods. To say "I Am..." is to take on the power of the thing. 

Am I saying the Dead South are shamans, magicians or some such? No, I'm not. But, they don't have to be. The writers claimed and accepted the best and worse of themselves in the song and that had to be very cathartic on some level. 

No comments: