Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Playing with a story

I know it sounds cliché, but surely it was five o'clock somewhere. The office had been quiet all day and that was bad. Bad for business - no business, no paying the rent and no office. On the other hand, there wasn't anyone around to care if I took a bit of a nip of Jack. Or three.

Who knows though, someone or something could still walk through that door. I wasn't picky. I'll take a case, whether human or monster. Hell, most of the time, I preferred the monsters. 

Granted, it took a long while to get the respect, well, maybe not respect, per se, of the monsters, but I got a reputation. I got the job done and I treated my clients with respect. Apparently, that was a novel concept coming from a human. Well, you know how most monsters come out in the stories. 

One reason that it took so long to get that reputation is that I didn't read as they expected me to, so I confused them. You know how you can look at someone and instinctively know whether they're on the level? Yeah, they couldn't quite figure me out. I guess that's a rare thing for a human. 

Ah, screw it, I thought as I got my jacket and fedora (can you be a legit P.I. without a fedora?) I'm calling it a day. I hoped there's be more action at the corner bar. 

No comments: