Sunday, September 25, 2005

Pow Wow Season

Oooh...I think I should have proof read that last entry a little more. I know I kin rite better'un that there hoo-ha.

Summer decided to hang around for another day or two. It was particularly hot at the pow wow in Mt. Juliet yesterday afternoon. My dad and I take in a few pow wows every year - sometimes in Portland, sometimes in Cookeville and usually always at the Four Corners marina in October.

We never dance. We just watch the contestants in all their regalia and tour all the little booths circling the dance arena. I always have to buy something - an ocarina, wonderful rainbow colored beads, stones, jewelry. One year I even bought a spirit journey horse, which traditionally represents a warrior's horse in the afterlife. The spirit horse would have been buried with its owner, so he would be able to ride forever.

Sometimes, though, when those big drums start, I do just want to throw down and dance. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, as steady as a heartbeat. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, my feet brushing through the grass - toe, heel. Toe, heel. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! My feather fan lifts to the sky to honor those who created us. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, my heart beats in cadence with the drums. Beats in cadence with the earth. Beats in cadence with the universe.

Harmony.

No comments: