Thursday, February 09, 2006

Another glimpse into an artist's mind

I have a feeder at my studio but I found out rather quickly that most of the visiting birds rather eat on the ground. First thing I do every day, before anything else, is scatter the seed around the base of the big hickory the feeder hangs on.

I was late getting there today. Therefore, the seed was late too.

While I had gesso drying on several boards, I meant to do some studies of the birds at the feeder. As you can see, it didn't quite work out that way.


The list got cut off at the bottom of the page:
1 nuthatch (yay!)
bluejay
cardinals
song(?) sparrows
chickadees

I also felt another "knock" (on the head?) so I worked out a very rough and basic sketch for a painting:



Yes, people. First Khnum and now Bast. What in the world have I gotten into?

The writing down the side that got cut off says:
Bast
Belly dancer?
accentuate curves
sinewy
Have Her looking more at viewer
minimal background
Black cat? White 'gloves'?
Egyptian breeds?

She's going to have to wait a little while though. After she saw the work I did on those dogs, my mom asked, "Could you do one of Cat?"

This is coming from Ms. "I Don't Need or Want a Pet." Her cat forced herself on my mom a little over a year and a half ago now. That cat is more spoiled than...I don't know what. I keep joking that all my mom needs now is one of those old fashoined prams so she can take Cat (only one of her many names) wherever she goes.

Only...I'm afraid she just might do it one of these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh... Bast is my favorite! Cat, Goddess-how could you go wrong?

:)

Cats are pretty resourceful when they decide they want someone. Once, when I started seeing a man who had dogs, my snarky girl cat moved over to my mom's house down the street.

It was so funny, sad too though, 'cause even when I axed the boyfriend, she never moved back. Guess my momma's hard to beat if yer a cat. She's the Queen of Cozy.

Love the cartoon!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Beautiful!

hee... MINE has the prettiest blue eyes, an infectious giggle and likes to build towers with blocks and talk about transformers.

:)