I thought I'd be brave and start posting progress reports on a painting I've started.
Here is the beginning stage of it:
It's monochrome (burnt sienna and white because I wanted it to be "warm") at the moment so I can work out value and composition issues. This is going to be reminiscent of ancient Egyptian art, where the scarab "reaches" for the sun. Only, this is going to be the Southern edition, with a junebug instead.
I think I've finally figured out the problem the sun. It's painted out here because it just looked...well, puny, between that junebug's front legs. Now the sun (or simply an orb, I haven't decided which yet) will be situated halfway off the top line of board and the bug will stretch for it. We'll see how that works.
Oh yeah - if there's any sharp eyed folks out there wondering why there aren't any "darkest darks" on this version of the painting, here's why: I'm a forgetful idiot who doesn't remember her lessons. I forgot to bring out the ultramarine blue.
More as progress is made. Here's to hoping that this painting will grow up to be a good one.